Staffing agency in Ontario – New Licensing Rules 2023

Nov 15, 2023

Staffing agency in Ontario - New Licensing Rules 2023Staffing agency in Ontario - New Licensing Rules 2023

Staffing agency in Ontario – All you need to know about the new license requirements

On July 1, 2023 the Employment Standards Act on Ontario was amended and now all businesses operating Staffing or Recruiting operations must be duly registered with the Ministry of Labor and have a license.

The deadline for submitting your application is currently July 1, 2024, and the Ministry introduced a “transition rule” that allows businesses that applied before July 1, 2024 to continue operating their staffing or recruitment operations for as long as their application is being reviewed.

You must apply before July 1 2024 (so until June 30, 2024) in order to enjoy the “transition period” rule.

The licensing process requires you to pay $750 CAD as a licensing fee and deposit $25,000 irrevocable letter of credit with the Ministry of Labor. You also must submit the proof that your business is in good standing with the tax reporting and payment.

The licensing requirement does not apply to businesses providing outsource and management of subcontractors, but you must ensure that your legal documents support the definition of your relationship with subcontractors as independent and not as “employees”.

Licensing applies separately to Staffing and Recruiting, so if you operate both types of businesses, you will need to apply twice, pay two $750 licensing fees and deposit two $25,000 letters of credit.

Useful Links:

Ministry of Labor registration portal:…

Our video about legal documents for staffing agencies:    • How to Start and Operate a Staffing A…  

Our video about subcontractors and employees:    • Employee vs Subcontractor Part I  

You can find Contracts and Documents for Business Owners in Canada here

Launch Your Business in Canada

Contact us right now and we will help You!

Capital Cost Allowance (CCA)

Capital cost allowance (CCA) is one of several methods to lower your business's taxable income in Canada. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) describes it as "a tax deduction that Canadian tax laws allow a business to claim for the loss in value of capital assets due to...

Motor Vehicle Expense Claims on Income Tax in Canada

Did you use a vehicle for your business last tax year? This article outlines the motor vehicle expenses you can claim on your income tax in Canada and details the necessary documentation to support your expense claims. The examples provided here illustrate how to...

Canada Pension Plan (CPP)

The CPP, also known as the Canada Pension Plan, is a national program that aims to assist Canadians in securing income for their retirement or in the event of disability. It was instituted by Lester B. Pearson's Liberal government in 1965, except in Quebec where a...

Independent Contractor vs Employee in Canada

Understanding whether you are classified as an independent contractor or an employee is crucial for your Canadian income tax, especially if you believe you are a contractor but the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) later decides otherwise after you have filed multiple tax...

Red Flags That Will Get Your Small Business a CRA Audit

Receiving a letter from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) announcing an audit is something every business or individual fears. Tax experts say about 35,000 such letters were issued in 2023. Business tax returns undergo intense scrutiny, and although there is no...

How to Manage Business Expense Records in Canada

Imagine if you were to create a comprehensive list of all the responsibilities necessary for running your business, and then arranged them according to your personal preference. Where would managing business expense records fall within that hierarchy? Would it be...